I come from flowers
My grandfather owned a plant nursery outside Mobile, Alabama where my dad and aunts and uncle grew up. He was most known for cultivating camellias including the Jarvis Red named after him.
I grew up in my father’s flower shop. Our family lived by the cycle of the flower year—Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, proms, graduations and weddings, Thanksgiving and Christmas.
My first career was also one of seasons, in the Church. I have been an ordained minister for 20 years and I hunger for compassion, beauty, joy, lightness and abundant life. These are things the world needs now more than ever and we find them right here on the flower farm. I am beginning my second run at this career thing. You might call it my Twin Run even.
I have returned to flowers.
I have returned to the state I love.
I have returned to hope.
My family and I built a house on this land and we are planting ourselves alongside the flowers. My husband and our twin boys (who run everything!) are a big part of this story as are the cats, dogs and what ever else they talk my bleeding heart into next! We are learning together and finding our way on this new farming journey. I hope you’ll find your way to the farm —to pick flowers, meet our brood, tour the farm, take a class or pick up a bouquet. I believe it will bring you joy as it does us.
1. We move with a Can-Do attitude. We can do anything that we set our minds to and we can do it with grace and love. Move a truck load of dirt? Can do! Broken mower? Can-Fix! Kids want to help? We can find lots of ways! There are tons of challenges on a farm; we approach them with a spirit of gratitude for the opportunity to farm and joy that we get to do what we love.
2. We grow joy. Our focus is on growing joy and creating beauty. We know the world is fraught with pain and hardships. When you come here, you can breathe deeply and rest in beauty.
3. “Deal gently with all living things.” All of creation deserves love, respect and health. We use natural pest controls, safe fencing and water to deter animals, and no chemicals when growing our flowers. We are a "No-Till" farm. We do not till the ground which leaves the underground ecosystem in place and undisturbed. We take great care to farm sustainably, preserving our land for the next generation and giving you the highest quality flowers possible.
4. Try new things! You’ll see patches of flowers and plants that we are “trying out”. We don’t know if they’ll grow, but isn’t it fun to try? Smile at all our “trys” even if they look more like piles of dirt….please.
5. Kindness. We try our very best to be kind, always.
6. We celebrate! We celebrate the little things, the big things and the “we just figured it out” things. Do not be surprised to see lots of high-fives, hugs, ribbons and cake around our place. LOTS of cake. There are so many things to celebrate and we don’t hold back.
7. Community. We are excited to be part of the Watkinsville/Athens community!
Why Local Flowers?
Locally grown flowers do not travel. You are saving the environment…no plane emissions, boxing, shipping or packaging.
Chemical FREE—80% of flowers used in the US are grown overseas. We call them "Flown Flowers." They use chemicals to grow and preserve them as they must stay out of water for shipping. We use O chemicals, and your flowers go from field to water in seconds. They can be on your table in mere hours. Go ahead, put your nose right up and smell; it’s safe!!
Bees, butterflies, birds and bugs! Our farm provides food and shelter for all kinds of pollinators and wildlife. Your support means we can provide protected areas for these beneficial animals.
Your flowers will last. Try us. You will see that our flowers are grown, tended and harvested with great care. They go from our farm to your table. “Flown” flowers are a week old when you get them and they’ve been out of water all that time. Local flowers will last in the vase longer than “flown” flowers—they really will.
Supporting a local business, supports our local economy. We will also learn your names, preferences and befriend you. Yep, we will!
Variety—we can grow a variety of flowers that can’t be shipped. Look and see each season what’s on the grow list.
You can choose your perfect bloom. When you come to Twin Run, you get to see your flowers being grown and pick the ones that are just right for you.
We will take special orders. We will not grow to order, but we will happy to make you something special with what’s in bloom or have you come pick a DIY wedding or event bucket along side our regular U-pick.
Beauty moments. Coming to the farm will give you a beauty bath.
A place to bring your kids. Kids are welcome at the farm! If they want to cut anything, of course an adult needs to help.
We will be open for your small events. Just call after opening day!
12. JOY. We are growing joy and we want to share that with you!